Read about these adventures on our dawsonsoverseas blog

Click here to read about these adventures on our dawsonsoverseas blog

Thursday, 6 August 2026

Facebook Blunder to a Wensleydale Feast

It all started with a mistake as many good things do.  Somehow Facebook posted that it was my birthday in June. As people started to send me messages I replied that it was actually in July and for the first time in a number of years I was going to have a summer birthday in Yorkshire!

Rachel saw it and said 'Oh we should have a cousin's get together.' Helen picked up on the idea and started at WhatsApp group.  All I had to do was organise the venue and the meal!

Back in Oz I thought that won't take long! Ha! Quickly the numbers grew to fourteen from six different counties. They were all looking forward to a pub that provided good food, was in driving distance of six counties, had parking and accessibility for a wheelchair user! Now pubs in the Yorkshire Dales are known for their ambiance and food but not for their larger dining rooms or accessibility.

At the time I was preparing for three concerts, two home exchanges, BeanZ events, packing and yes still trying to finish my novel!

Thank goodness I found Oliver at the Wensleydale Hotel only a 300 metre walk from Foxglove Cottage where we were staying! Thank you! You were a lifesaver, the service and food were superb! 

 
Its incredible to believe but I hadn't seen Rachel since she and Lucy gave me 'bridal horseshoes' 54 years ago at our wedding!  The other cousins I've seen briefly over the years, so there was a lot to catch up on. 

Everyone brought photos and there was lots of laughter, news sharing and anecdotes galore. 
It was strange to see other people's photos of your own wedding and amazing they have kept them all these years.


Rachel wasn't driving back to London until the next day and so we were able to do the Shawl walk one last time!

Oh and I guess we shouldn't leave it another 54 years till our next get together!

No comments:

Post a Comment